Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kevin_McMahon
post May 26 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 25

Hi Draven, I am not sure how fast our plane went. According to a military fact sheet, the C-130 can go between 345 m.p.h. and 417 m.p.h. depending on the type of C-130 plane. However, since we had the sleds on the wheels, it slowed the plane down because of AIR RESISTANCE!!! Remember that concept from our egg drop challenge.

The C-130 is a neat cargo plane. The back part of the plane drops down so you can load and unload cargo and people from the back of the plane. You can even unload cargo when the plane is moving. I saw the crew do this at Summit two days ago. They were just practicing but sometimes the snow is sticky and they don't want to stop the plane totally because they are afraid it will get stuck in the snow. They are moving very slowly when they unload cargo this way.

If you want to learn more about the C-130, you can visit this website: C-130 Hercules Fact Sheet

They do have air masks on the plane. Instead of popping from the ceiling, they are in little square bags behind our seats. The mask covers your entire head. It is like putting a plastic bag over your head. They told us to make sure that we hear the sound of the oxygen flowing when the bag is over our head. If not, they told us to remove the bag immediately. It sounds like good advice.

It has been fun so far but also a lot of work trying to learn about how to use and set up the instruments. I also am spending time writing journal entries. Keep reading my teacher's journals to see what I am doing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:43 PM