( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

> Ocean Water and Fresh Water
Amy_Clapp
post Jun 5 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 6

So, a big part of the PARTNERS Project, is about analyzing the water so that the scientists can try and find out where the water goes when it travels from the rivers into the Arctic Ocean. The Arctic Ocean is one of the saltiest oceans but with all the fresh water that is traveling from the rivers to the ocean it is getting less and less salty. In this experiment you will try freezing two different kinds of water

Question: How does salt in water affect the freezing of water?

What is your prediction? (I think... (describe what you think will happen) because..(explain why you think what will happen will happen).

Procedure:
1.) Get two large glasses and label them with tape--label one sea water and the other fresh water.
2.) In each glass pour 12 ounzes of water.
3.) In the sea water glass put two and a half teaspoons of salt. This glass is similar to the salt content of the oceans.
4.) Make some observations about the differences between the salt water glass and the fresh water glass.
5.) Put both glasses in the freezer and check on them every few hours, making observations when you check on them.
6.) After they have been in the freezer overnight, look at the glasses again and complete another set of observations--be sure to observe the bottom of the glasses too!!.
7.) Continue to make observations as each of the waters begin to melt.

One of the ways that science advances is by scientists sharing their results from experiments with each other and talking about what they are thinking and/or what they found out. So, what did you think would happen when you put the fresh and salt water in the freezer? What did happen? What were your observations? Why do you think what happened happened?

What is great about this website is that we can easily share and discuss what we found out. Simply click on the "ADD REPLY" button on the top of this page on the right hand corner and share your observations and questions you may have. Once we get some ideas going, we can discuss new questions and experiments so that we can learn more about how salt water acts differently than fresh water and why.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Amanda
post Apr 5 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

does anyone know how to make salt water into fresh water
+Quote Post
Laura
post Aug 23 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

QUOTE(Amanda @ Apr 5 2006, 04:05 PM) *

does anyone know how to make salt water into fresh water

yes u boil it and catch the steam let the steam cool witch will then turn into vapour, after that you have fresh water didi u noe that 70% of the worlds fresh water is in Antarctica
+Quote Post
post Sep 1 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

QUOTE(Laura @ Aug 23 2006, 08:05 AM) *

yes u boil it and catch the steam let the steam cool witch will then turn into vapour, after that you have fresh water didi u noe that 70% of the worlds fresh water is in Antarctica

i dont know do you
dry.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Amy_Clapp   Ocean Water and Fresh Water   Jun 5 2005, 07:00 PM
Jesse   I think that the cup with salt water in it will fr...   Jun 8 2005, 11:09 PM
Bailey and friends   I think the salt water will freeze faster than the...   Jun 9 2005, 02:18 PM
Jesse   :D During the lab I noticed that the bottom of the...   Jun 9 2005, 09:29 PM
Class   Here are our observations: Before freezing: The sa...   Jun 10 2005, 12:32 PM
Justin   Before freezing: Salt Water: was a lot lighter in...   Jun 10 2005, 01:30 PM
Guest   B) <_<   Feb 5 2006, 11:12 PM
Guest   Im doing this for my science fair project. Do i h...   Nov 8 2005, 11:44 PM
Guest   I forgot to add, the salt will freeze slower becau...   Nov 8 2005, 11:49 PM
Guest   I forgot to add, the salt will freeze slower becau...   Nov 8 2005, 11:50 PM
aj   im a lair! Asain pride P.S. If i had a post ...   Jan 7 2006, 02:36 AM
Guest   does salt water freeze   Jan 11 2006, 02:35 AM
Simone   Im doing my science project on why salt water free...   Feb 19 2006, 06:56 PM
Amy_Clapp   HI Simone, Hopefully this experiment will help out...   Feb 19 2006, 10:23 PM
Simone   is it that salt lowers the freezing point of water...   Feb 21 2006, 09:35 PM
Guest   is it that salt lowers the freezing point of wate...   May 4 2006, 09:46 PM
Amanda   does anyone know how to make salt water into fresh...   Apr 5 2006, 04:05 PM
Laura   does anyone know how to make salt water into fres...   Aug 23 2006, 08:05 AM
Guest   yes u boil it and catch the steam let the steam c...   Sep 1 2006, 03:12 PM
Amanda   im doing a class project and i have no idea what t...   Apr 5 2006, 04:07 PM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:33 PM