Ute_Kaden
post Jul 17 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

Anchorage, 7-16-05
Strange Encounter-The Moose

My science cruise on the USCGC Healy starts officially on August 2, 2005. Having to fly to Alaska anyway I took the opportunity to explore this beautiful state before the trip (playing tourist). I know that most of you have never been to Alaska and like to know what is going on here. I decided to write some of my adventures down so you can learn about this special place on earth.

Today I hiked along the coastal trail of Anchorage between Earthquake Park and Kincaid Park. This part of the trail goes through costal forest areas that open up to nice views of the Cook Inlet.
IPB Image
Center of Anchorage and the Knik Arm of the Cook Inlet
The weather was warm but rainy. However, with VECO rain gear the day was wonderful.

IPB Image

I took a photo of myself and suddenly I heard the noise of breaking twigs…and there it was –The Moose.
IPB Image

It was huge and looked almost like a Texas horse-well not quite.

IPB Image
A biker turned around to take a picture. Thank God it just ignored us.

The moose is a strange-looking creature, but the design of the moose is specially suited for living in northern climates. Moose are BIG animals! They can stand over six feet tall at the shoulders and can weigh up to 1,400 pounds! The long, slender legs and long nose give it a goofy look.
IPB Image

Moose live in forests. Moose have four stomach chambers and like to eat willow, aspen, birch, underwater plants, and garden vegetables. The flap of skin hanging from its throat is known as the bell.
An adult moose will eat 40-60 pounds of plants each day.
The digestive result is called "Moose Nuggets"and looks like this:
IPB Image
Moose Nuggets

I found a wonderful website done by students from Fairbanks, AK. You have to check it out!
“The magnificent moose project”
http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/awe.../moosepage.html

Well, if you like to see what tourists buy... I just took the photos.

IPB ImageIPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Janet_Warburton
post Jul 21 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Project Manager
Group Icon

Group: ARCUS
Member No.: 13

Quite the adventure! You and the biker are most lucky that the cow you saw (yes, cow - female moose) didn't have a calf (baby) with her....very close and the biker looks like within stomping range. I had a moose chase me once on my bike and several times on foot - all heart-stopping events!

I love the items made from moose nuggets - just demonstrates that all things can be recycled smile.gif

Janet
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:51 PM