Reply to this topicStart new topic
> August 14, 2006 - Heading North
Jason_Petula
post Aug 21 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 29

Heading North

Despite the fact that Paul, Peter, and Dolores had left for North Camp a few days ago, our camp was bustling with activity. With cameras and film crew gathering footage, Dave and I decided it was time to head north and join the sedimentology team about 30 miles down river.

After breaking camp, we headed north into the swollen Colville River. It was difficult to keep a bearing because the channel was so flooded and braided. The advantage of a flooded braided river is it moves faster. The disadvantage is many of the gravel bars are dangerously hidden, making it easier to destroy a propeller or damage a boat. Also, as we discovered, a flooded river has many more channels to lead you down the wrong path.

As we continued heading north, the bluffs gave way to flat, featureless tundra. Countless caribou walked the river’s edge and provided a great distraction from the chill. To my surprise, we found North Camp despite being mildly lost. Just as we finished setting up our tents, Paul and the crew returned from their field work. To my delight, the camp was littered with bear tracks. Tomorrow, I shift from working on paleontology to sedimentology.

IPB Image
Jason at North Camp getting ready for a crash coarse in sedimentology.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:15 PM