( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Inconvenient Truth
One-Celled Meechums
post May 27 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Mike,

I just so Al Gore’s film “An Inconvenient Truth.” During one of the many eye-opening segments, he cites a graph that shows Carbon Dioxide levels in the atmosphere have spiked well above what occurs in the Earth’s natural cycle. He said that scientists have direct evidence that the Greenhouse gases are heating up the Earth’s atmosphere and melting the ice caps and causing glaciers to retreat at an alarming pace.

Is there any evidence of global warming in Summit, Greenland?

What would happen if the ice covering Greenland did melt into the ocean?

Besides voting for politicians that care about the environment instead of their buddies in the oil industry, is there anything that we can do to prevent global warming?

Oh, “An Inconvenient Truth” is an amazing film. It opens in Atlanta on June 9th.

Inconvenient Truth - Check it out here
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike_Bergin
post May 28 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #2

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 36

QUOTE(One-Celled Meechums @ May 27 2006, 07:00 PM) *

Mike,

I just so Al Gore’s film “An Inconvenient Truth.” During one of the many eye-opening segments, he cites a graph that shows Carbon Dioxide levels in the atmosphere have spiked well above what occurs in the Earth’s natural cycle. He said that scientists have direct evidence that the Greenhouse gases are heating up the Earth’s atmosphere and melting the ice caps and causing glaciers to retreat at an alarming pace.

Is there any evidence of global warming in Summit, Greenland?

What would happen if the ice covering Greenland did melt into the ocean?

Besides voting for politicians that care about the environment instead of their buddies in the oil industry, is there anything that we can do to prevent global warming?

Oh, “An Inconvenient Truth” is an amazing film. It opens in Atlanta on June 9th.

Inconvenient Truth - Check it out here

It sure sounds like Al Gore is back in action. I have heard that somewhere between 60-70% of Americans are concerned about climate when polled on the topic. If the public concern grows Al Gore may actually have a chance during the next elections.

But to the questions....

1. Ice cores have given us concentrations of Greenhouse gases (CO2 and CH4) and atmospheric temperature over the past 200,000 years or so. We clearly see that greenhouse gases and temperature go up and down together. During the past 200 years CO2 has increased at an alarming rate along with global temperature. Naturally variability is no doubt involved to some extent but we know that greenhouse gases warm the Earth and it seems pretty obvious some of the warming we are seeing must be attributed to Greenhouse gases. The current debate in the scientific community is not whether greenhouse gases are currently warming climate (most agree they are) but how much they are warming it. We are all working hard on this point.

2. In general all of Greenland has been warming over the past 50 years. Some areas by more than 3 degrees. Summit has experienced less warming (~0.5 degree). We're not exactly sure why we see less warming at Summit but it has been warming. More recent evidence from the western coast has also shown increases in ice bergs sliding off of Greenland. This is at the same time as observed increases in surface melting of Greenland. So there are things to be concerned about with respect to global warming and Greenland. Not sure if big Al talked about this. As an aside a close friend of mine was Gore's environmental advisor right before he became vice president. He said that the first book he wrote about climate was his own original thoughts and that he wrote the entire thing. I also had a friend who saw his movie and recently wrote a paper about the impact of hurricane on climate. My friend introduced himself to Gore and Gore immediately mentioned his paper and asked him a few questions about it.

3. If Greenland melts sea-level will rise ~ 7m (21 feet).

4. What to do about global warming? I am not exactly sure. Contacting local politicians and highlighting the need for supporting research and measures to reduce carbon (for instance use of alternative fuels and tighter standards for automobiles). I think we can all reduce carbon emissions by reducing our energy use. We can actually do this by buying efficient appliances, low energy lightbulbs, turning off things that suck energy when we're not using them (computer screens for instance). A good place to get more info on this is the webpage for environmental defense (www.environmentaldefense.org).

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:56 PM