Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

147 nm /273 km from the North Pole

1 nm (nautical mile) = 1.852 km

IPB Image

Ship Position at 2005/09/06 16:59:01 UTC
Longitude: 155 18.920 E Latitude: 87 33.961 N
"IBCAO" depth: 3928 Speed (VBW): 10.3 Heading: 60.1 Water Temp: -1.693

Together with the Swedish ice breaker Oden we are on our way to the North Pole and the next 3 coring stations. As you can see on the map difficult ice conditions call for a zig-zag course toward North. We use satellite photos, radar images and most importantly reconnaissance flights by our helicopters to find the best way through the heavy ice. Planning meetings take place on both ships.

IPB Image
A coffee break at Oden today; to the left Jessica Noel and Mattias Peterson (Oden Chief Officer) and to the left Anders Karlqvist (expedition leader) and Tomas Årnell (Oden Captain)

The Captain and scientists from the Healy visit the Oden and the Oden Captain and scientists visit the Healy. The parties get flow by helicopter from one ship to the other. Scientists use the transit time to log their data and write up first reports. A lot of collaboration, studying and reading takes place as well. I took photos of some of the reading material I found on the different desks.

IPB Image
Reading material found on desks of the scientists

The live conference from the Healy on September first was well received by students in Brownsville and New Zealand. I got some photos from the web conference in Brownsville, TX and like to say: “Hi students. Nice seeing some of you. Read my log entries and ask questions. I will call you from the North Pole”

IPB Image
IPB Image
Physics students at Hanna HS, Brownsville, TX during the live webinar from the USCGC Healy on September 1, 2005.

IPB Image
Physics teacher Mr. Hoffmann coordinates the webevent at Hanna HS in Brownsville, TX
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:30 PM