Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 2 2005, 06:59 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 22

Stinky Water
2 December, 2005

For those interested in things Antarctic, check out the weekly Antarctic newspaper at http://AntarcticSun.usap.gov

Hello from the Ice!
For additional Antarctic pics, check out the Gallery.

Where’s Rosenberger?
Crary Lab, McMurdo Station, Ross Island, Antarctica
Thanks to all of my friends and family who helped me get to this astounding continent!

Yesterday, my science team consisting of Christine (PI = Principal Investigator), Markus (grad student), Kaelin (grad student), and Chris (co-PI) flew in a helicopter to Pony Lake in about 20 minutes (MUCH less than a two hour Pisten Bully ride) to collect cores. Meanwhile, Jenn and I were in the lab here at McMurdo making solutions in preparation for ice core analysis.
I was working on analysis of hydrogen peroxide in seawater (My chem students, notice the safety goggles):
IPB Image

Jenn was trying to purify 2-4-dinitrophenylhydrazine using acetonitrile. Wow! That's a mouthful and this is nasty stuff so it had to be done under the fume hood.
IPB Image

Did it!
IPB Image

There were also the 2.5 ice cores from the day before melting in buckets in the lab. Now I understand what they meant by the rotten egg, urea, rancid compost pile analogy. The smell coming from those buckets is threatening to shut down the place. It leaks out from under the lab door and causes people to stop and ask if there has been a wastewater backup in the building. And. . . it will get worse.

Depending on what the scientists want to study, some of the cores are melted slowly and at very cold temperatures and some are melted quickly at room temperature. In the slow, cold melted cores, they don’t want the bacteria and algae to start growing again or any new stuff from around the lab to start growing in the melt since they want to assess what is actually in the lake. In the fast melt cores, they will filter out all of the bacteria and algae and just do some chemical assessments on what is left over, the dissolved stuff that passed through the filter. The stuff that passes through the filter is called Dissolved Organic Matter or DOM. Apparently, it is mostly composed of the waste of the bacteria and algae or decomposed bits of them and will give them clues about the carbon and nitrogen cycling in the lake. I guess you need a lot of cores to get enough DOM to analyze, so we will be getting cores every chance we get.

The science team returned with three coolers full of cores after a successful day at Pony Lake. They said it was so windy that they couldn’t even stand up straight on the green patch of ice out in the open so they had to get ice cores from down in the pit, where they were partially sheltered from the wind. I’m not sure I want to be in a helicopter in these conditions but the pilots here are pretty incredible.

Today, we were all going to go out and get more ice cores in a Pisten Bully, but it was called off since the weather was approaching CONDITION 2 (Defined by one or more of the following: wind speeds of 48-55 knots, wind chill of -75 to -100 F, or visibility less than one-quarter mile). Compare the pictures below, from the lab window.
The view out my lab window on a nice day in Antarctica:
IPB Image

The view out my lab window today:
IPB Image

We’ll hope for better weather tomorrow. Go figure. Snow in Antarctica. As everyone here says in answer to most things, “Antarctica is a harsh continent.”

Did you know?
Captain Robert Falcon Scott died in his attempt to reach the South Pole in 1912. In his diary, he wrote a final message: “Had we lived, I should have had a tale to tell of the hardihood, endurance, and courage of my companions which would have stirred the heart of every Englishman. These rough notes and our dead bodies must tell the tale.”
One of the huts he and his crew built is an historic site here at McMurdo.

Current Conditions at McMurdo Station
An area of low pressure over the Ross Sea continues to influence our conditions. Hopefully, it will move on by tomorrow.

Right now:
Wind out of the south at 25 knots
Mostly cloudy
Pressure: 29.350 inHg
Temperature: 18 oF/ -8 oC with wind chill: -20 F/- 29 C
Sunset: February 20 at 1:38 am
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Laurie Montgomery
post Dec 2 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

Hi Dena,
Enjoying your photos from San Diego. I have been following your journeys on the web. I saw the article in the SD paper and found it quite interesting, as I have traveled a bit much being an airline employee. Havent been there yet.... Keep up the good work, stay warm, lots of hot oatmeal......Laurie
+Quote Post
Debby Joyce
post Dec 2 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

Hey Dena!

I've been enjoying your journals and photos. Besides looking cold, it all looks like great fun! Keep up the good work!

Debby, sis-in-law, from "balmy" Santa Cruz
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

hi this is the sea monkeys and we wanted to say we love you ya! keep working hard
+Quote Post
Krisi Silva
post Dec 2 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Dena,

So sorry you have to smell the poopy water. I guess a small price to pay for getting the opportunity of a lifetime!! Looks like you have a lot of great people to celebrate the holidays with- I was happy to see their pictures, they seem nice.

Thank you for the birthday present- I really liked the shirt- I have worn it a couple of times and it makes me think of you:) I will continue to think and pray for you and this awsome journey you are on!

Kris and Brandon- We love you!

QUOTE(Dena_Rosenberger @ Dec 2 2005, 06:59 AM)
Stinky Water
2 December, 2005

For those interested in things Antarctic, check out the weekly Antarctic newspaper at http://AntarcticSun.usap.gov

Hello from the Ice!
For additional Antarctic pics, check out the Gallery.

Where’s Rosenberger?
Crary Lab, McMurdo Station, Ross Island, Antarctica
Thanks to all of my friends and family who helped me get to this astounding continent!

Yesterday, my science team consisting of Christine (PI = Principal Investigator), Markus (grad student), Kaelin (grad student), and Chris (co-PI) flew in a helicopter to Pony Lake in about 20 minutes (MUCH less than a two hour Pisten Bully ride) to collect cores.  Meanwhile, Jenn and I were in the lab here at McMurdo making solutions in preparation for ice core analysis.
I was working on analysis of hydrogen peroxide in seawater (My chem students, notice the safety goggles):
IPB Image

Jenn was trying to purify 2-4-dinitrophenylhydrazine using acetonitrile.  Wow!  That's a mouthful and this is nasty stuff so it had to be done under the fume hood.
IPB Image

Did it!
IPB Image

There were also the 2.5 ice cores from the day before melting in buckets in the lab.  Now I understand what they meant by the rotten egg, urea, rancid compost pile analogy.  The smell coming from those buckets is threatening to shut down the place.  It leaks out from under the lab door and causes people to stop and ask if there has been a wastewater backup in the building.  And. . . it will get worse. 

Depending on what the scientists want to study, some of the cores are melted slowly and at very cold temperatures and some are melted quickly at room temperature.  In the slow, cold melted cores, they don’t want the bacteria and algae to start growing again or any new stuff from around the lab to start growing in the melt since they want to assess what is actually in the lake.  In the fast melt cores, they will filter out all of the bacteria and algae and just do some chemical assessments on what is left over, the dissolved stuff that passed through the filter.  The stuff that passes through the filter is called Dissolved Organic Matter or DOM.  Apparently, it is mostly composed of the waste of the bacteria and algae or decomposed bits of them and will give them clues about the carbon and nitrogen cycling in the lake.  I guess you need a lot of cores to get enough DOM to analyze, so we will be getting cores every chance we get.

The science team returned with three coolers full of cores after a successful day at Pony Lake.  They said it was so windy that they couldn’t even stand up straight on the green patch of ice out in the open so they had to get ice cores from down in the pit, where they were partially sheltered from the wind.  I’m not sure I want to be in a helicopter in these conditions but the pilots here are pretty incredible.

Today, we were all going to go out and get more ice cores in a Pisten Bully, but it was called off since the weather was approaching CONDITION 2 (Defined by one or more of the following: wind speeds of 48-55 knots, wind chill of -75 to -100 F, or visibility less than one-quarter mile).  Compare the pictures below, from the lab window.
The view out my lab window on a nice day in Antarctica:
IPB Image

The view out my lab window today:
IPB Image

We’ll hope for better weather tomorrow.  Go figure. Snow in Antarctica.  As everyone here says in answer to most things, “Antarctica is a harsh continent.”

Did you know?
Captain Robert Falcon Scott died in his attempt to reach the South Pole in 1912.  In his diary, he wrote a final message:  “Had we lived, I should have had a tale to tell of the hardihood, endurance, and courage of my companions which would have stirred the heart of every Englishman.  These rough notes and our dead bodies must tell the tale.”
One of the huts he and his crew built is an historic site here at McMurdo.

Current Conditions at McMurdo Station
An area of low pressure over the Ross Sea continues to influence our conditions.  Hopefully, it will move on by tomorrow.

Right now:
Wind out of the south at 25 knots
Mostly cloudy
Pressure: 29.350 inHg
Temperature:  18 oF/ -8 oC with wind chill: -20 F/- 29 C
Sunset:  February 20 at 1:38 am

+Quote Post
Gina and Bob M.
post Dec 2 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

Hi Dena,
We are certainly there with you in spirit! What an awesome journey you are on, and we are all learning so much from your good works. Every day we look forward to finding out what you're up to. Keep up the good work and stay warm!
Gina and Bob
+Quote Post
Diana from Crest
post Dec 3 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

Looks like you're having fun.

Not much else going on here. Same old stuff.....

Talk to you soon -

Diana
+Quote Post
post Dec 3 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

Hi Ms. Rosenberger!!
It sounds like you're having a good time even through a bit of a storm. I hope all of your research is going well and that you are in good health. Good luck!

-Alice Martinez
+Quote Post
Lindsay Ferguson
post Dec 3 2005, 03:03 AM
Post #9

Unregistered

hey ms rosenberger, we miss you so much! i love the fact that we can still keep in contact with eachother and know that you are doing all this amazing work in antarctica. i loved the picture with the gorgeous goggles. were the penguins really as adorable as they look in the pictures? always know that i am sending warm thoughts and wishes your way.
~lindsay
ps:what is the most interesting thing you have learned fom this experience so far?
+Quote Post
Megan Blakey
post Dec 4 2005, 01:41 AM
Post #10

Unregistered

MS. ROSENBERGER!!!
hehe you are too cute! stinky water... haha thats so funny! It stinks so bad that you aren't going to be home for christmas because i found the CUTEST penguin thingy for you BUT my mom wouldnt let me get it for you because you were gone...Isnt that LAME??? Well dont freeze to death! id have to come down there and slap you till you wonke up haha! ttyl
+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 4 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #11

TREC Teacher

Hi Laurie:

Thanks for the message. It is wonderful to hear from people in San Diego!

Warm wishes from Antarctica!

Dena
+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 4 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #12

TREC Teacher

Hello Gina and Bob:

Thanks for the kind words and for following my journey. This is an amazing place and I am thankful for the modern technology that keeps us warm most of the time!

Take care,
Dena

QUOTE(Gina and Bob M. @ Dec 2 2005, 08:54 PM)
Hi Dena,
We are certainly there with you in spirit! What an awesome journey you are on, and we are all learning so much from your good works.  Every day we look forward to finding out what you're up to.  Keep up the good work and stay warm!
Gina and Bob

+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 4 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #13

TREC Teacher

Hi Megan!

Well, even though you didn't get the "penguin thingy," thanks for thinking of me. I hope you are keeping up in chem!

Warm wishes from Antarctica!
Ms. R

QUOTE(Megan Blakey @ Dec 4 2005, 01:41 AM)
MS. ROSENBERGER!!!
hehe you are too cute! stinky water... haha thats so funny! It stinks so bad that you aren't going to be home for christmas because i found the CUTEST penguin thingy for you BUT my mom wouldnt let me get it for you because you were gone...Isnt that LAME??? Well dont freeze to death! id have to come down there and slap you till you wonke up haha! ttyl

+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 4 2005, 04:32 AM
Post #14

TREC Teacher

Hi Linsday!

I love hearing from my students! Thanks for the warm wishes, too. This is an amazing place and yes, the penguins are incredibly adorable. The Emperors are very elegant and the Adelies are just dorky and silly. Maybe that's why I like them so much. I can't wait till the chicks hatch!

The most interesting thing that I have learned so far is that I can survive in the cold! Actually, it is extremely interesting to me to be part of an entire continent that is doing science. And the magnitude of things being studied is incredible, from the smallest bacteria to the atmosphere over a huge continent to the gases trapped in ice cores 650,000 years old. It is truly amazing!

Be good!
Ms. R

QUOTE(Lindsay Ferguson @ Dec 3 2005, 03:03 AM)
hey ms rosenberger, we miss you so much!  i love the fact that we can still keep in contact with eachother and know that you are doing all this amazing work in antarctica. i loved the picture with the gorgeous goggles. were the penguins really as adorable as they look in the pictures? always know that i am sending warm thoughts and wishes your way.
~lindsay
ps:what is the most interesting thing you have learned fom this experience so far?

+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 4 2005, 04:45 AM
Post #15

TREC Teacher

Hello Alice:

Thanks for the warm wishes! I am having an incredible time in this amazing place. I hope school is going well for you this year. Will you be home for the holidays?

Much love,
Ms.R

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 3 2005, 12:58 AM)
Hi Ms. Rosenberger!!
It sounds like you're having a good time even through a bit of a storm. I hope all of your research is going well and that you are in good health. Good luck!

-Alice Martinez

+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 4 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #16

TREC Teacher

Hey Woman! I hope you are keeping up with your walking. Bill has converted the cats into mostly indoor cats and they seem to like it. He bought a 3 day feeder and they probably eat all of the food on the first day. Hope work is going well.

Dena

QUOTE(Diana from Crest @ Dec 3 2005, 12:30 AM)
Looks like you're having fun.

Not much else going on here.  Same old stuff.....

Talk to you soon -

Diana

+Quote Post
Keith Wayne
post Dec 5 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #17

Unregistered

Hey Denha-
sorry i haven't written in a while. There's just so much to do sitting in a trailer on a mountaintop listening to owls and coyotes.
Poopy water, h'uh?!! What did you expect? After all, aren't "Polar Molecules" smelly??!!! (Ha Ha, get it? Polar as in the south pole and as in diffenece in electronegativity? Chem nerd joke. biggrin.gif )
Anyway, another Santa Ana is brewing here. So far we've dogged any major fires. K & B are headed to Kauai in 3 days and we're headed to Carolina on the winter soltice. Hopefully you will have good weather and be able to see your longest day of the year.
Anyway, all is good and healthy here.
Keep up the good work and remember to wash your hands before you lick your fingers!!!
Keith Wayne
p.s. Chargers keep winning!
+Quote Post
post Dec 5 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #18

Unregistered

Hey Klecker!... dry.gif

I'm late to the party as usual....

Your in your element....Now that Ive discovered the site ( actually lost the URL) I'll be checking in and watching your work progress.

All this modern technology..communication in near real time...well..in the same day at least

Great that the students can get a chan=ce to see science in action Vs just pumping thru the lab assignment book....Just remember to NOT use the pipette as a straw!

Have fun, stay warm...don't eat the yellow snow! laugh.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:27 PM