( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> whales and other stuff
Haley Reed
post Aug 9 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Dear Ms. Kane,

My name is Haley and I am a new 6th grader at PMHMS. I am in Mr. Stumpf's class for science.

I have 3 questions for you.

1. Have you learned any Norwegian while you have been there? My uncle and his family live in Oslo.

2. Have you seen any Orca whales?

3. Are you having a good time and are you learning a lot?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Haley
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maggie_Kane
post Aug 10 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 27

QUOTE(Haley Reed @ Aug 8 2006, 06:45 PM) *

Dear Ms. Kane,

My name is Haley and I am a new 6th grader at PMHMS. I am in Mr. Stumpf's class for science.

I have 3 questions for you.

1. Have you learned any Norwegian while you have been there? My uncle and his family live in Oslo.

2. Have you seen any Orca whales?

3. Are you having a good time and are you learning a lot?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Haley

Hi Haley! So great to get your questions! I will try to answer them for you.

1. Yes, I have learned a bit of Norwegian and I will write our a bit here:
Hva heter du? (what is your name?)
Jeg heter Maggie (I am called Maggie)
Jeg vil gjerne ha en kopp kaffe (I would like a cup of coffee)
Tak! (thanks)

As you can see, I have not progressed into deep conversations, mostly because the Norwegians all speak English and they will jump in and start speaking English as soon as they see us struggle. They are very kind that way. I have made some audio recordings of people speaking Norwegian because it is a very pretty sound. They make it a bit like a song, and end most of their sentences with an upward tone that is very pleasant. I will try to pin that audio file somewhere on the site.

2. No, we have not seen Orca Whales, but we have seen Belugas. Those are the white ones. They swam right by our beach and they are really sweet looking, with a kind of smiling face. The Beluga are the only whales that swim these waters, but the great Bowhead used to, but have been hunted out, which is sad. The beluga will swim in large groups and they love to talk in high pitched squeeks - they are very social. They eat fish, and octopus and anything they can get including sea worms, yuck!

3. YES I am having the time of my life and learning a TON! I love the natural environment, the Norwegian people, the science here and being on an adventure. Some things I get to do are a bit scary at first, but I have gotten really brave and do things now that I didn't think I could. That is a cool feeling. I also hike a lot and have gotten stronger muscles, and that feels really good too. The Norwegians walk a lot and are very fit, which is a good way to live.

Thank you for posting questions! I would like to meet you when I return to school onthe 21st.
Thanks! M. Kane
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:43 PM