Dena_Rosenberger
post Jan 22 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 22

Headin’ Home
January 18, 2006

For those interested in things Antarctic and some fine journalism, check out the weekly Antarctic newspaper at http://AntarcticSun.usap.gov

Hello from El Cajon!
For additional Antarctic pics, check out the Gallery.

Where’s Rosenberger?
In El Cajon, East County, San Diego, California, U.S.A.!

I have had a grand adventure! Although my time in Antarctica was short in comparison to those who stayed behind, it is not long until the winter begins to close in on that incredible continent and the sun sets for the last time for several months of complete darkness. I guess for every light there is a dark, especially at the bottom of the world. I did not see the moon at all because it was light 24-7, but people who “winter-over” have told me that the moon is upside down from what we see in the United States. Who would have thought? I guess here in Antarctica I have learned to see the world in a different way, and that would be my ultimate message to my students, and my friends, family, and community: Go out and see the world in a different way.

For the looooonnnnnng trip home, the first leg involves getting dressed in full ECW gear to board Ivan the Terra Bus for a one-hour ride out to Pegasus Field on the permanent ice shelf:

sad.gif Leaving McMurdo. I'm smiling but I'm crying...
IPB Image

>Waiting for the plane on the ice runway:
IPB Image

>One last look back at McMurdo Station, my home for the last two months. Ob Hill is on the right, MacTown in the middle:
IPB Image

Finally, the C-17 arrives.
IPB Image

Before we can board, the incoming passengers and all of the cargo must be taken off the plane.
IPB Image

> Last glimpse of a beautiful continent:
IPB Image

I was only in New Zealand for 11 hours, but had time to get a few hours of sleep and take a walk in the Botanical Gardens across the street from my hotel. Wow! Roses smell REALLY good! And ducklings are REALLY cute! I have only smelled cold and wind and volcanic dust and penguin poop and diesel fumes for two months!
IPB Image

IPB Image

Now for the longest leg of the journey, back to the U.S. of A. I had a nice homecoming at the airport in San Diego.

My cats are happy to see me (I think.)
IPB Image

My first sunset in two months, from my back porch.
IPB Image

Looking out over the lights of San Diego towards the ocean:
IPB Image

I am looking forward, with some anxiety, to school Monday morning. I have gone into the cold and returned a person with a greater perspective on the world and on science. I am just an ordinary person who was given this wonderful opportunity to do some extraordinary things in an incredible place. I hope that I have perhaps planted a seed in the minds and hearts of my students and anyone else that followed my expedition.

Thanks for tagging along and being part of the adventure. Now go out and discover it for yourself!

From the heart,
Dena Rosenberger
November – January, 2005-06
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
post Jan 22 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

You Are The Greatest!!!
+Quote Post
post Jan 23 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 22 2006, 11:45 PM)
You Are The Greatest!!!

Ditto....Welcome home Kleck'er!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:23 PM