Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Visit to the glacier
Robert_Oddo
post Jul 17 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 8

The day started out today cloudy and windy with rain and snow. It was awesome. Winds were about 45 mph and almost knocked you down when it blew hard. We had some instruction this morning from Prof Ole Humlum from UNIS. We discussed local meteorology as well as climatic factors that have formed the landscape here on Svalbard. Winds and temperature both play important roles in the expansion and the contraction of the glaciers that cover over 60% of the island here. Right now most glaciers here are shrinking in size. They were largest in the 1800’s during the Little Age.

After lunch we hiked up to the glaciers to look at various monitoring devices that examined transport of materials during avalanches. I started working with the GPS unit that I will work with later on in the month.

IPB Image
Working with the GPS

We looked at qualities of different types of snow and discussed materials that are transported down slope during avalanches.

IPB Image
Prof. Humlum discusses rock glaciers and how they form

IPB Image
Hiking around the moraines
IPB Image
Dr. H. Christiansen from UNIS explains how this camera takes 1 picture a day 365 days a year to monitor avalanches and the debris they carry down the slope.

The environment I am immersed in here is so rich. Lectures about the Arctic, hikes to places where long term studies are being conducted, a beautiful setting and all this information is being put into a context that will allow us conduct our own studies for four weeks in the Arctic. Next Wed. we leave Longyearbyen by boat to travel to the Kappe Linne Valley where we all will be able to conduct our own investigations, discuss them and build upon them. Already I have great ideas to bring back to the classroom. Can’t think of a better way to spend my summer!!!!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:51 PM