( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do you need?
Matt Dassler
post May 11 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hey Sam,
Well seems like your pretty cold up there. So do you need your little brother to come and take care of you. But anyways I am studying earth science right now I have a test tommorrow. I would call you right now but its like 12:00 up there I think. But there's this question that I need you to anwser for me the question is "Where and how is the densest water in all the oceans formed?" Well there is it anwser it if you can. Well got to go. Come home I miss you.

Much Love Big Sis,
Matt
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Samantha_Dassler_Barlow
post May 15 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 23

Hey little bro! Even though you are taller than me, I can still call you little because you will always be younger! I hope that you do well on your test. I am 4 hours behind your time. So if it is 6:00 pm your time, then it would be 2:00 pm my time. It would be pretty difficult for you to call me though. Stick with email: samantha.barlow@healy.polarscience.net If you have good questions like the one you just asked, then keep posting them to this message board so that others can learn from them.
On to your question about the densest water in all the oceans. I know that this question will take me to my friend Markus Janout from Fairbanks, AK. He is studying physical oceanography and configuring the data from the CTD to construct maps of that very thing you just asked about. Markus says the densest water is formed in the northern most part of the north Atlantic, in the Greenland Sea, but not up in the Arctic. (Markus is drawing me a picture; it helps to look at a map.) The Gulf Stream flows up the east coast of the US then crosses the Atlantic further east over to Europe and then part of it flows north, up the coast of Norway and gets directed back west towards Greenland. The Gulf Stream comes from the tropics, so it is warm and lots of evaporation happens, leaving the salt behind. So, the water gets saltier. The saltier, the denser. The Gulf Stream cools off when it is near Greenland (because it’s pretty cold up there) and then sinks to the bottom of the ocean. The colder, the denser. You’ve heard that hot air rises and cold air sinks? Well the same principle applies to water. Warm water rises and cold water sinks. Less salty water rises and saltier water sinks. Markus says that there is another system just like this one that also happens in the Antarctic. I think the answer you may want to hear is that the densest water is formed and found near the polar regions at the bottom of the ocean because that it where it is the coldest and the saltiest. Markus is trying his best to think like a 15-year-old boy and he says that the movie, The Day After Tomorrow, uses this whole principle as a springboard for this huge change that causes all the drama in the movie. But, it is just a movie after all. (Thanks, Markus!)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:48 AM