( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> web page, snow geese
Leandra de Sousa
post Jul 20 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hello Brian and Leslie.

Thanks for the current webpage updates it is great have the virtual base camp smile.gif
So, I was wondering how are the snow geese doing this year?
Have you observed more nest success or failure?
Do you think that the late drainage of the delta had a - or + impact on the goose colony or would it be premature to make to make that kind of statement?
Ok, I hope you are having good weather again and that Brian continues cooking good food!

Have a great day! Thanks!
Leandra
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brian_Person
post Sep 9 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #2

TREC Researcher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 16

Hello Leandra,

The flooding from the Ikpikpuk River didn't stop birds from nesting this year although they did re-distribute themselves to non-traditional islands (basically wherever they could find high ground). The estimate on the number of nests was about 800 (based on an aerial survey). In reality the number was closer to 1100-1200 and nest success was roughly 80%. Nest success, that is if 1 or more eggs hatched it was a successful nest, has been closer to % 90-100 on this small colony in the past but % 80 is still high enough to keep the colony growing.

So in short I don't think that the flooding had a negative impact on the colony and in fact it may have helped the vegetation early on because geese didn't grub for below ground tissues in the flooded plant communities because they were unavailable.

Thanks for the ?

Brian

QUOTE(Leandra de Sousa @ Jul 20 2005, 06:47 PM)
Hello Brian and Leslie.

Thanks for the current webpage updates it is great have the virtual base camp smile.gif
So, I was wondering how are the snow geese doing this year?
Have you observed more nest success or failure?
Do you think that the late drainage of the delta had a - or + impact on the goose colony or would it be premature to make to make that kind of statement?
Ok, I hope you are having good weather again and that Brian continues cooking good food!

Have a great day! Thanks!
Leandra

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:36 PM