IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ice
Holden
post Jun 3 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

How big is the ice on the river? How deep is it? What is the biggest piece of ice?
I am six years old. huh.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max_Holmes
post Jun 21 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #2

TREC Researcher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 17

Hi Holden,

Wow, you're six years old and already asking very good questions about arctic rivers - that's great!

In the middle of the winter the ice on the rivers where we work is thicker than I am tall (and I'm pretty tall). The entire river gets covered in ice, so the ice on the rivers can be thousands of miles long (these big rivers are very long). The ice on the biggest arctic rivers can be almost as long as the distance across the entire United States!

I'll attach a photo from the Lena River in Siberia (Russia) that I took last June. It was taken just after the ice "broke", and big pieces of ice piled up on the side of the river. The kids playing on the ice are Sakha, one of the indigenous groups of people that live along the Lena River. The people in the village of Tsiigehtchic, where we'll go nex week on the Mackenzie River in Canada, are Gwich'en "Indian", and at Pilot Station on the Yukon River where we'll sample the people are Yupik "Eskimo". All of these people rely on their rivers for many things, including food (fish) and transportation (using boats in the summer and driving on the ice in the winter).

Thanks for asking such good questions!

Max

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:55 PM