Reply to this topicStart new topic
> July 28, 2006 - Helicopter Ride!, Student Profiles
Maggie_Kane
post Jul 28 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 27

Today we had a special treat – the Sysselmann’s Airlift came to the station on a test flight and also brought our groceries for the week. Mette was excited to be able to get her brother Morten a ride on the chopper as he had never been in a helicopter before. The plan was for him to go to Longyearbyen for the day to buy candy and return later. We waited outside playing soccer until the helicopter could be seen coming in. I wasn’t the only one taking pictures! Three people wearing bright orange jumpsuits and helmets got out and unloaded several boxes of groceries onto the ground. When they gave the signal, Mette, Mark and Morten ran over to collect the boxes. They motioned for Morten to get in and offered Mark to go along, so he jumped in too! We watched as they shut the door and took off again. We are so happy for them to have such a fun day flying in the arctic and can’t wait to hear how their day went.

Helicopter Ride
IPB Image

Meanwhile, I am busy working on things for lupcoming ive events. I will be part of several live web presentations coming up in the next few weeks that you might like to be part of, so stay turned to the website for advertisement of these.

Here are the other 5 profiles of students that were not posted earlier.

Caroline is from Wisconsin and attends Colorado College. She loves to ski and backpack but really loves to rock climb. She thought she would study medicine, but loved the field work and time outside offered by geology and is really enjoying it. She is studying the age of the glacial deposits around Kongressvatnet. Caroline is very good natured and witty and just finished reading Dostoyevsky’s Siddhartha. Her favorite album is Joanie Mitchell’s “Blue” and she loves pumpkin pie.

Caroline
IPB Image

Bennett is from Sudburry, Massachusetts and attends Bates College. He is a clear thinker and a careful scientist and enjoys going swimming in the ocean nearly everyday. He is always eager to help with the project and to lend a hand to anyone who needs help (he rescued me from the Pit of Despair the other day). He is always ready to do the tough part of a project, jump in a survival suite, wade through a stream or carry something really heavy. Bennett’s favorite winter sport is skiing, and he likes to telemark, alpine and cross country ski. He is working on building a wooden canoe and loves the movie “Babe”.

Bennett
IPB Image

Christina is from Wyoming and attends Montana State University. She is the oldest of 6 and is very confident to take charge and get right into a complex question. She is extremely careful and skilled in her lab work, always willing to get in the river and grab that extra item to put in her pack. She loves to eat and is hoping for a spaghetti dinner soon! She loves her family and is one heck of a geologist. Her favorite food by far is ice cream. Christina is studying the stream deposits and running the filtration project with the ISCO water samples.

Christina
IPB Image

Ben is from Seattle, Washington, and attends Whitman College. He loves to bike and has several different bikes at home, including a recumbent bike that he won in an essay contest. He is really into ham radio communication and likes talking to people from all over the world, especial small islands in the South Pacific. He actually holds a world record for Morse Code communication! He got into radio after enjoying a scanner and listening to the nearby McDonald’s drive through. He plays the trombone and the Euphonium (baritone horn). Ben is fun to be with and loves to laugh and goof around. It seems that Ben’s favorite sandwich is made with bread, chocolate spread and cookies. Ben is working on the sediment plume in the lake and the thermal evolution of the lake over the last 3 years.

Ben
IPB Image

Heidi is from Appleton, Wisconsin and loves fresh picked berries. She attends Mt. Holyoke College and travels all over the world whenever she can (right before this trip she was in Vietnam – what a climatic shift!). She plays the bassoon and plays in a klezmer ensemble. She works for the USGS in Yosemite National Park during the summer as a hydrologic technician. She is rigorous and high energy and is always first to volunteer for anything. You will find her in most of my pictures because where anything interesting is happening, Heidi is involved! She has swum the Arctic Ocean every day since we have been at Kapp Linne. Heidi’s favorite book is “Keep the Lights Burnign, Abbie” written by her parents.

Heidi
IPB Image

I’m the final member of the group, and you can read about me on the cover of the webpage, so I won’t tell you much about myself. My favorite thing to do is spend time with my husband and kids whom I miss very much right now, and my favorite dessert is definitely homemade apple pie with vanilla ice cream!

Maggie
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:06 AM