( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floating eggs
Mike Jeffery
post Jul 30 2005, 04:59 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hi, Leslie!
This site makes extremely interesting reading!! Although our family lives here in Barrow, I don't get out on the tundra like you are.

Your post of July 14 talked about Brian "floating" some bird eggs and then you could figure out how close they were to hatching.

Could you give some more information on this?

Mike Jeffery
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Leslie_Pierce
post Aug 5 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #2

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 7

Hi Mike,

I'm glad you are finding it interesting. I feel very fortunate to be able to be out here myself!

Floating eggs means just that, putting them in water to see if they float. You can tell the approximate age of the egg by how high it floats. The older the egg, or the more near hatch time, the closer it is to the surface of the water.

The loon eggs that Brian floated actually broke the surface which he said means that it was just a few days before hatch.

The reason the eggs float higher and higher is due to the increase in gas production as the growing embryo gives off more and more carbon dioxide. The increase in gas makes the eggs more buoyant.

Thanks for the question and keep them coming,
Leslie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike Jeffery
post Aug 8 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

QUOTE(Mike Jeffery @ Jul 30 2005, 04:59 AM)
Hi, Leslie!
This site makes extremely interesting reading!! Although our family lives here in Barrow, I don't get out on the tundra like you are.

Your post of July 14 talked about Brian "floating" some bird eggs and then you could figure out how close they were to hatching.

Could you give some more information on this?

Mike Jeffery

Thank you Leslie! It makes sense, but I would not have thought of it!
Mike
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:52 PM