Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

More Sunday on the Healy…
8-28-05

Ship Position Information at 2005/08/30 00:06:01 UTC
Longitude: 149 5.129 W Latitude: 84 18.436 N
Seabeam Centerbeam depth: 1873.9
Speed: -0.2 Heading: 10.7 Water Temp: -1.594 Sal: 29.99

We onboard of the USCGC Healy, the Coast Guard and science crew, like to express our deep sympathy for the people along the Gulf Coast that got hit by Hurricane Katrina. Our thoughts are with you! The aviation unit on USCGC Healy is from Mobile, Alabama and is watching the developments closely.

During night the ice got heavier. I woke up by the ships vibrations, backing and ramming the ice (going back and forth to have enough momentum for breaking the ice). Still, TITANIC lingers in my mind but no alarms or water, just the comforting noise of our powerful engines.

Sunday is a word on the calendar. On Healy it means branch from 10-12 am (an extension of the normal lunch), more movies on the TV channel and …work. Still, there is time for different activities.

IPB Image
Karina from Norway is working on her physics homework.

IPB Image
Dale and John are relaxing to music.

IPB Image
Glenn is reading the book "Sea legs" while waiting for his Multi Core.

IPB Image
Paul is playing his horn.

Who are the people at work?
Always working is Leonid. He describes 15 m of mud (core sediments) a day and prepares it for storage. Those 15 m of ocean floor sediments could well be a record of Million of years in earth’s history. Asa analyses sediments.

IPB Image
Leonid at 14.5 m of sediments

IPB Image
Ice conditions of the day. The basket for the ice people is visible.

Dennis our chief scientist is always working as well except … (Ha, we got him). He is waiting for the core to come up. What he does not know at that moment- it will be one of the really successful cores with 12 m of sediments in it!

The core is coming up, the sun glimpses toward us and Paula, Emma, I are the woman team cutting the Sunday morning core. Reidar lends us a hand. The whole process is hard work and help is always appreciated.

IPB Image
Dennis awaiting the JPC (Jumbo Piston Core)

IPB Image
Paula, Emma, Raidar and Ute cutting the core

IPB Image
Dave and Steve retrieving satellite maps in the computer room at the bridge

David and Steve retrieving a new ice map, a satellite weather map and they are properly fixing some kind of computer problem. Computer and network problems are always popping up out of nowhere. The room you see in the photo is the one where I can send larger FTP files using the big station you see on the site. I can tell you, I had to get use to a lot of computers, cables, numbers, and buttons (some “don’t push” ones as well). Sometimes, I use my little cheat sheet with the steps for certain operations to get a successful communication script logged. I was scheduled to go on a Helicopter flight to sample dirty sea ice. Dirty sea ice is ice that has sediments on it. These sediments can be analyzed and the origin of the ice can be determined. Not to worry, we do not clean dirty ice! In addition, I went to the flight briefing for the Helicopter, got dressed in the heavy mustang suit and put on the helmet, ready to go on the helicopter… “Hurry up and wait”, the weather turned bad and flight operations got canceled. We will try again.

Best regards,

Ute
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:03 AM