Leslie_Pierce
post Aug 9 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 7

August 6, 2005
The last day

Our last day on the Ikpikpuk! Bob was hoping to get a few drives in but there was other work that needed to be done as well. ABR needed to finish their nest fate surveys that they began a few weeks ago when Brian and I saw them during our vegetation sampling trip. He and Larry went out to look for birds and came back quickly. They said that there were lots of groups around the Ikpikpuk again. They must have moved in during the last day and night.

We did one banding drive of about 100 birds
Attached Image

There were many more birds nearby, but there was no more time. New plan: start shuttling people back to Barrow while the weather was still decent. It was cloudy but not too low of a ceiling. Bob, Shook and Jeremy would go with Larry to some islands on the east side of the Ikpikpuk to do the rest of the nest fate surveys.

We began packing up gear and taking down tents. Jeremy and Rita kicked a soccer ball around that had been found out on the mud flats yesterday. Anybody lose a soccer ball? We all wonder “where did it come from?”

Jeremy and Rita kick the soccer ball around.
Attached Image

It’s also time for group photo shots. Here’s the 2005 banding crew (minus Brian!).
Top row: Me, Larry, Sandy, Bob. Bottom row: Shook, Jeremy, Rita and John Rose.

Attached Image

Battle scars! Sandy, Rita and Bob show their cuts, scrapes and bruises from the snow geese.
Attached Image

We began shuttling gear and people back to Barrow. I am on the first trip along with Rita and John Rose. It is with sadness I watch our site as Sandy taxis down the mudflat runway. I hope to be able to come back some day.

Sandy taxis down the "runway"
Attached Image

I take this shot of the alluvial fan, or the fanlike deposit of sediments, of the Ikpikpuk River delta as we turn towards Barrow.
Attached Image

We pass over a group of snow geese. I wonder if this is one of the groups we banded.
Attached Image

We make it back to Barrow, and the satellite dishes that connect this town to the rest of the world. This has been a great trip with a great crew. We banded nearly 1400 snow geese in about four days. The information that will be obtained from recaptured birds and the newly banded birds will help the biologists in determining movements of birds in and out of this breeding colony. As the population continues to grow, it will become increasingly important to monitor the growth and the effect of the snow geese on the habitat.

Barrow to the northwest of the satellite dishes
Attached Image

Bob and Shook made it back to Barrow just in time for a quick pizza at Northern Lights before a run to the airport to get on their flight back to Fairbanks. Jeremy and Sandy headed east to Deadhorse for another job in that area. Our pilot, Larry, brings back more gear and then prepares for another job doing shorebird surveys beginning tomorrow. I miss being out there already. Still, I hopped into a shower as soon as possible to wash off any creepy crawly bird lice that might have hitchhiked back with me!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Leslie_Pierce   August 6   Aug 9 2005, 07:10 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:04 PM