Steve_Marshall
post Jun 22 2005, 06:35 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 12

Sunday, 6/19/05 #3
FATHER’S DAY

One other reality of science in the field is that it sometimes requires sacrifice. While I am having an exceptional time and the experience of a lifetime, it would be misleading to say I have not missed home at all. Being away from family is one of the sacrifices that is made. In this case, the sacrifice was a little more than it would be if the timing was a little different because of what today is. This is the first time I have been away from my family for so long, and the first time away on Father’s Day. Adding to that is the fact that I have a two-and-a-half month old son who I will not be with for my first Father’s Day with him. While thinking about being away from my family gets me a little down, since I am on a military ship, I quickly turn my thoughts to those who serve in the military and are away from their families for much longer. Their sacrifice is much greater, and it adds even more respect to that which I already have for all those in the military and the sacrifices they make for all of us.

Turning the thoughts back to my family, the day is made much better when I realize they have put a Father’s Day gift in my luggage. Opening it up, I see they have given me a photo album of numerous pictures of my wife an children, some of them showing my children holding signs that say, “Happy Father’s Day,” “We Love You,” and “We Miss You.” It is a special gift made even more special by realizing the time and love that went into making the album. Thanks to modern technology, I was also able to call them from the ship and share what has been happening so far. All on both sides of the phone agreed it was nice to hear our voices. It is also probably fitting at this time to say how grateful I am to have such a loving and supportive family that they also were willing to make a sacrifice and take on challenges to let me experience this opportunity.

The Marshall Family
IPB Image
This was taken just after my third son’s birth, so he’s changed a lot since then, but at least it gives an idea of why it would be nice to be home for Father’s Day!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:24 PM