Reply to this topicStart new topic
> safety training, swimming, etc.....
Robert_Oddo
post Jul 15 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 8

I am learning that Svalbard is really a special place. The warm waters of the Gulf Stream end here and it is where warm oceanic air meets the arctic cold air. This results in drastic changes in weather. At one moment it can be very warm and you can be in short sleeves and then it can be snow and sleet 15 minutes later. You have to carry many layers of clothes wherever you go. Since it is very muddy out and around town, it is a custom that you take your shoes off when you go into a building.

IPB Image
looking up at the glacier from town

Today safety was the topic of the day. In the morning we had rifle training. This training is required of anyone going in the field. Polar bears have no fear of man and they have been known to stalk researchers in the field. We learned to shoot rifles in lying on our stomachs, on one knee and standing up. I was surprised what a good shot I was!!!!
The protocol here is to first try to avoid the bear or retreat in another direction, second make a lot of noise, shoot the flare gun at the bear and continue to make noise and then as a last resort shoot the bear.
IPB Image
shooting school
IPB Image
learning how to hold a gun

IPB Image
shooting a flare gun

IPB Image
cleaning the rifle

After lunch we learned about traveling safely in arctic water and that involved survival suits. So we went swimming!!!! If you fall over into the water in the arctic you could only have minutes before you become hypothermic and these suits can save your life.
IPB Image
So here I am ready to go. Air temp 38 F with strong winds. Water temp. 35 F

IPB Image
Off for a swim
IPB Image
to the water
IPB Image
return from a swim

In the late afternoon, we got together with our UNIS hosts for orientation lectures.

Great Day!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:12 PM