( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hi!, Hi!
-Hugo from Brownsville-
post Jun 12 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

(for Mrs. Kaden)
Hey maam'! Well, it's summer and it's hot down here! Man, I can't stand it. So, have you had any storms? Ms. Kaden i miss your class and hope that everything will be fine.

I read the article in the Washington Post. That was very interesting. I think that in the next 45 years or so we should be seeing some pretty interesting weather changes compared to what we have already as of now. It'll be a site to remember. Oh, and I found that NASA was making one of their own satellite imaging software using LandSat to be available to the public. While it is free for download, the file would not want to download. It's a pretty large file so, I don't know.

So Ma'am, what have you found in the North Pole? Should Brownsville be expecting any interesting weather or climate changes this summer or any time soon? Well ma'am, good luck with the research and hope all those "Polar Stuffed Animals" make it back well. I'm sure of it.

While your journey in the North Pole, was there any technical difficulties with any of the equipment/systems? As your breaking the ice, what kind of interference, if any, is there with the equipment/systems>? Have you had the chance to you satellite imagering?

-Baldy (Hugo) cool.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 12 2005, 03:53 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

Correction to previous question:
While your journey in the North Pole, was there any technical difficulties with any of the equipment/systems? As your breaking the ice, what kind of interference, if any, is there with the equipment/systems? Have you had the chance to use satellite imaging software?
+Quote Post
Ute_Kaden
post Jun 14 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #3

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

Hugo,
How are things going in Brownsville? I will answer all your North Pole and ice breaking questions when we are on our trip. I will fly to Dutch Harbor on August 2nd and the ship will leave for the North Pole on August 5th. Until then check out the first Healy trip. “Sediment coring on the Healy”
My college Steven will answer the questions. They started yesterday on the USCGC Healy.
Here the link: http://archive.arcus.org/TREC/VBC/index.php?showforum=3

You can follow the Healy trip on the web:
go to: Healy Cruise Track
Play with that webpage. It is just great.

You must read Steven's Teacher log. Very interesting and you can ask him questions as well. biggrin.gif

Ute
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bernie_Coakley
post Jul 13 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #4

TREC Researcher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 18

Hugo

You have asked a really smart question. Most scientists forget that the contact of the ice against
the hull of the ship and the contact of ice against ice (the pack is always "working") generates a
lot of noise that interferes with the sonar equipment we have on board.

On the ship, the ice make a lot of noise against the hull. In the ship's mess (cafeteria) the noise
is so loud, it can be hard to talk. There is a screaming sound as the ice drags against the steel
and a distant rumbling from the ice chunks bouncing off each other and the hull.

It sounds a lot like the subway in New York City!

This noise can confuse the instruments we use to map the bottom and the sediments under the
ship. This equipment is set up to listen to certain frequencies. It cannot distinguish what the source
is. We can clean up the data pretty well with carful processing and filtering.

We will be using satellite data to study the ice pack and plan our route day by day.

Have fun.

Bernie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Hugo Vargas
post Jul 21 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

hey Ma'am! Well, I guess we survived the hurricane! We just got heavy winds and rain. Anyway, we didn't get directly hit. The hurricane landed cat. 3 about some 60-85 miles south of Brownsville. Nevertheless, we still are in hurricane season and I expect more wierd weather patterns in the future.

Oh and I'm still looking out for HESTEC. *just interested in next years thing*. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Hugo Vargas
post Jul 21 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

uhhhh...Ms. Kaden,
Out by the Cayman Islands there is a storm of some type. Is there any possible way that you may check to see if it might be any threat?
+Quote Post
post Jul 22 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

QUOTE(Hugo Vargas @ Jul 21 2005, 03:43 PM)
uhhhh...Ms. Kaden,
Out by the Cayman Islands there is a storm of some type. Is there any possible way that you may check to see if it might be any threat?

Hi Hugo,
nice hearing from you. How are things in Brownsville? Is everything back to normal? I hope that the new storm will not have the same path. I am in Seward, AK at the moment. Go and find it on the map. I will post some interesting stories about the area here. Check out my journal. And HESTEC yes, we will participate!

Greetings
U. Kaden
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:29 AM