Download full lesson document below as an Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word
PDF: 100 K (Full lesson)
PDF: 972 K (Greenhouse Gas)
PDF: 568 K (Local Knowledge)
Word: 60 K (Full lesson)
|Investigation 1.3: Climate & Climage Change
Upon completion of this activity, students will:
- Understand and be able to communicate explanations about the
concepts of climate, climate change and the greenhouse effect.
- Identify and utilize various methods for studying climate change
including scientific method and local knowledge, as well as, recognize
that people from many different cultures have and continue to
make contributions to science and technology.
- Identify various types of technology used for scientific research
and understand that technology enhances accuracy and allows scientists
to analyze and quantify results of investigations.
- Understand Arctic climate is affected by interactions among
earths systems (atmosphere, biosphere, geosphere and hydrosphere).
- Recognize that the atmosphere is a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen,
and trace gases amongst other things.
- Understand that climate change has impacts for flora and fauna,
including humans because all organisms must be able to obtain
and use resources, grow, reproduce, and maintain stable internal
conditions while living in a constantly changing external environment.
Extinction of a species occurs when the environment changes and
the adaptive characteristics of the organism are insufficient
to allow for its survival.