1) Have you seen any major changes in the occurrence of wildlife
in the last decade?
Yes, increases in both caribou and whales.
2) How do the Inuit get seals out of their seal holes?
There are numerous way to get seals: out in open water, nets, and
3) Ive heard that the Inuit have something like 27 different
names for ice. Can you explain that?
We have many more than 27. You would use many adjectives with the
word ice to describe it, for instance rotting ice Where as we have
one word to describe that.
4) How do the Inuit hunt whales from pack ice?
We go out to the edge of the shore fast ice.
5) How do you study whales?
By listening for them or tracking them with sonar. We also take
6) How far out on the pack ice have you been?
A couple of hundred miles by air and 60 miles from land.
7) How safe is it to go out on the ice? (answered with another question)
8) What animals do you study? (answered with another question)
9) What animals do you hunt? (answered with another question)
10) Many experts have observed evidence of shrinking ice and changes
in the arctic environment, have you observed any evidence of climate
It is definitely getting warmer, but why we dont know.
11) How long does the ice stay in Barrow? (answered with another
12) How many caribou inhabit the area around Barrow?
The western arctic herd numbers around 410,000 animals.
13) What kind of education do you need to become a wildlife biologist?
A degree in a biological or natural resource science.
14) What classes would be helpful to take in high school if I want
to be biologist? (answered with another question)
15) What do you major in college to become a wildlife biologist?
(answered with another question)
16) Can you explain the words: Inupiaq, Inuit, Inupiat? These are
different forms of the word meaning people of the arctic or north.
17) What are some of the most important traditions in Barrows?
Many forms of hunting, traditional sewing, the blanket toss, respect
for and knowledge of the environment.
18) Are any of you fluent in Inupiaq?
Yes, both Harry and Richard are and Craig even knows some after
living here for 20 years.
19) Have you ever gone swimming in the ocean during the summer?
Sometimes on purpose sometimes on accident, it is always cold!!!!!
20)Can any whale species mix (as in dogs or a horse and a donkey)?
There is some evidence that species do mix but not around the Barrow
21)Have you ever had dangerous situations on the ice? (answered
with another question)
22)Can the ice be dangerous to animals? (answered with another question)
23)Do animals seem to know what places are safest (like Momma bear
to build her
Yes, the animals do seem to have a sense about things that we humans
donít necessarily have.
24)What animal is the most plentiful? Bacteria, mosiqutoes, lemmings,
and on up to the larger mammals and birds (seals, whales, geese)
25)How did you learn to hunt?
26)Has a whale ever attacked someone?
Yes, when they are being hunted.
27)Did your ancestors hunt animals that have gone extinct? (not
28)Does the reflected bright light seem to bother any animal's eyes
as it can
bother people? (to be answered on discussion board)
29)Does the ice have a smell?
Freshwater ice smell almost like nothing, while the sea ice smell
30)Does the dark color of building and houses cause the permafrost
to melt? (not answered)
31)How many people live in the Barrow area? (not answered)
32)How do you heat your homes? (not answered)
33)Is fresh water hard to find? (not answered)
34)Do you catch crabs, clams and shellfish to eat? (not answered)
35)How much snow and rain does your area get in each season? (not
36)Do the animals all migrate at the same time every year or are
there variations? (not answered)
37)What do you like most about your jobs? (answered in another question)
38)Do dogs like the sea ice and pack ice or do they like to stay
on land? (not answered)
39)Are there flies on the beach in the summer and can they be really
bothersome? (not answered)